Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default What value pot?

HeyBub wrote:

---MIKE--- wrote:

My new digital FM tuner puts out too strong a signal compared to my
other inputs (TV and CD). I want to install a dual potentiometer
between the tuner and preamp to reduce the volume. What is the best
value pot to use for this. I have ordered 50K, 100K, 250K and 500K
from Mouser (the pots are cheap - the shipping is not).

Hint: If there are three terminals that connect to the innards of the pot,
short two adjacent ones together (center and either side).

This prevents a full open circuit when the wiper inside makes a poor contact
or hits a bump.

That would only work if he puts the pots in SERIES with the signals and
inputs.

I think he's more likely to use them as potentiometers, in which case
your offering won't work.

Peace,

Jeff

--