Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default 2 low voltage transformers on 1 circuit?

wrote in message
The total wattage of all the lights combined is about 380W. I think
the contractor stringed them all on a single 12-2 wire. So the ones
furthest away from the transformer is pretty dim. The ones closest to
the transformer are pretty bright.

The total length of the cable is about 100'.

You mentioned that I may be able to attach another transformer at the
far end of the run, but I just need to make sure I connect the
positive polarity side of the wire to the positive side of the new
transformer, and ditto for the negative side. But there was another
person who mentioned that I should not do this.

I do have a spare 300W transformer that I can use on the far end, but
I just like to make sure it would not cause a fire hazard by having 2
transformers powering the same circuit.

You have 380 watts on a 600 watt transformer. You don't need another
transformer, you need to increase the conductor size feeding the lights or
split the lights between two separate cables, both coming from the same
transformer. You cannot connect a second transformer to the low voltage side
of the existing transformer, if that's what you had in mind. Tough as it may
be, you need to run another cable and split the circuit