Posted to sci.electronics.repair
eu.thundernews.com eu.thundernews.com is offline

Default Please help my Pye P35!

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"Sky" wrote in message

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"Geo" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 May 2008 15:18:55 +0100, "eu.thundernews.com"

wrote:

Thanks for your reply, the radio is a valve job made in 1950. The
circuitry
appears to the eye to have aged well but of course with something this
age
there could be all sorts of things that need sorting. But I guess the
audio
output device is valve based.

Does it have paper capacitors? If so then replacing all those is the
first thing to do.

It has a lot of wax coated caps a friend of mine suggested the same

thing,
he said that he'd had a similar problem with many vintage valve radios

and
that quite often it was the caps that were the culprit.

Thanks for your advice, once again I really do appreciate the help of
people like yourself because it speeds up my learning and points me in
directions that would take who knows how long to find on my own.

You should take this over to rec.antiques.radio+phono, don't crosspost
though. There's a lot of guys there with a lot of vacuum tube experience.

Thanks for the tip there James, I think I'll go have a look now.