Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default dust problem

On May 2, 8:28*pm, wrote:
*I'm concerned about the dust hazard in my shop and am trying to make
my shop more dust-proof and have done the following:
- Built a cyclone dc.
- Built a ambient dust collector to filter the dust floating in the
air.
- Just bought a Trend Airshield Pro to protect my face/lungs.

Now, I am wanting to exhaust as much dust to the outside of my shop as
possible. I searched the Internet for information on exhaust fans
similar to the ones used by sawmills, but they are expensive and

Hi Rob

I am in agreement with what Bill Noble said, "it's much easier to
filter the small amount you breath".

Not only that, but with any other way you would be breathing the dust
you are making, while you are working, until all the dust is removed
(never) from your shop.

Than there's that other thing, makeup air, as you are removing
a lot of air, where is the new air coming from ?, I can see potential
big problems, with the low-pressure created in the shop, if part of
the house, then water heater, furnace, fire-place etc, are going to
have a reverse airflow to let the air in, you know what that
means !!!!, and if it's a really tightly constructed shop,
implosion is not unthinkable, though rarely are shops that well
sealed, but ??.
Cross ventilation with open doors works well when climate is right for
it, filtering your own breathing air seems a much easier way to go.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

large. I'm also thinking about venting the dust/chips from my cyclone
dc outside. My shop is 24x32x8 high and in the country, so dust
discharged outside shouldn't be a problem. I may make a collection box
outside to collect the dust/chips if I go that route.

My questions:
1. Can I build a exhaust fan unit to discharge dusty air from my shop
to the outside? If so, how large a fan and does it have to be a slow-
speed fan? Or will a gable vent fan work?
2. Is it O.K. To do away with the collection bin located below the
cyclone? And do away with the filters? And just have everything go
outside?

Rob