Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default 2 low voltage transformers on 1 circuit?

RBM wrote:
wrote in message
I got a 600W Malibu low voltage transformer powering my landscape
lights. But some of the lights further from the transformer are not as
bright. I only have a single 12 gauge wire with all the lights
attached on it.

Can I attach another 300W transformer at the far end of the wire so
that the lights there will be brighter?

I cannot really run another wire from the 600W transformer, since much
of the wire run under concrete pathways and also my driveway.

Thanks

You don't specify the total connected wattage, but #12 is only good for 20
amps and a 600 watt transformer can handle up to 50 amps. You can't connect
another transformer to the existing wiring, but you can cut the existing
wiring in half as Paul Franklin suggested, and either connect the second
half to a new transformer, fed by a new underground line, or just run a new
underground line back to the 600 watt transformer, assuming it's large
enough

As the OP came from googlegroups (which
is filtered out) I only saw it quoted in
another reply. Depending on the number
of lamps, length of cable and wattage
(current) of each bulb, voltage drops do
occur as you go down the line. These
lamps gobble quite a bit of power. You
can solve the problem by using lower
wattage lamps and/or heavier wire. You
need to do the arithmetic of adding up
the wattage of each lamp to see if it
comes under the 600 watts the transformer
provides. But, as someone replied, 600
watt is 50 amps. If you are using all
600 watts, you need huge wires (8 gauge
or larger) to carry that load, or you need
to split the load. In all, we need more
info as to the number of lamps, wattage and
cable lengths.