Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default 2 low voltage transformers on 1 circuit?

wrote in message
On May 3, 7:42?am, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

I got a 600W Malibu low voltage transformer powering my landscape
lights. But some of the lights further from the transformer are not as
bright. I only have a single 12 gauge wire with all the lights
attached on it.

Can I attach another 300W transformer at the far end of the wire so
that the lights there will be brighter?

I cannot really run another wire from the 600W transformer, since much
of the wire run under concrete pathways and also my driveway.

Thanks

You don't specify the total connected wattage, but #12 is only good for 20
amps and a 600 watt transformer can handle up to 50 amps. You can't
connect
another transformer to the existing wiring, but you can cut the existing
wiring in half as Paul Franklin suggested, and either connect the second
half to a new transformer, fed by a new underground line, or just run a
new
underground line back to the 600 watt transformer, assuming it's large
enough

sorry your confusing wattage of 2 different voltage ratings.

600 watts divided by 12 volts = 50 amps @ 12 volts. # 12 cable is 20 amp and
doesn't change with the voltage

20 amps at 120 volts is 2500 watts.........

but ratings change at 12 volts........

in any case is it possible the lamps are older somehow?

try a new bulb in a dim location before rewiring.........

lamps dim over time, this may fix you up..