Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken[_6_] Ken[_6_] is offline

Default Garage door question

Anthony Diodati wrote:
Starting a new post with this question, maybe the OP is too far down the
list,
(with all the trash we have been getting lately)

I noticed on my door there is no cable running through the springs that
help
pull the door up.
I thought there were supposed to be safety cables running through the
springs in case a spring would break?
Is this not the case?
If so, anyone know how there installed so as to clear the cable's that run
on the end of the springs, where they (the springs) attach to the pulleys?
Thanks, Tony

I don't know if I can help with your problem, but I did do something to
mine as the result of such a spring breaking: Since the most likely
place for such a spring to break is at the ends where a loop is bent so
as to attach the springs, I looped a piece of stiff steel wire over the
middle of the spring and around the horizontal track that the door
rollers move in as the door opens. That way if the spring breaks (as
happened to me once) it would stay over the car rather than be thrown
about the garage. Make the loop of wire loose enough that it moves
freely during normal operation but will not allow a broken spring to
fall low enough to hurt anything in the garage. Should the spring
break, the wire would be pinched between the coils of the spring and
secure the now compressed spring.