Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith Carlson Keith Carlson is offline

Default Cabinet door stile/rail to panel proportions?

"BobS" wrote in message
Keith,

I'm certainly no expert - just a weekend warrior but I have done a couple
of kitchens.

You want same width on all the matching cabinetry. The stand-alone pieces
which are complimentary to the kitchen cabinetry can be different and may
look well but keep the kitchen cabinets the same.

That said.... You can use different widths of stiles and rails on the
doors and that creates a very nice look. Using wider rails helps bring a
balanced look to taller than usual counter or overhead cabinets that may
extend to ceiling height. Suggest you look thru some of the latest
catalogs to get some ideas.

Bob S.

Thanks, Bob and Leon,
I was actually just sketching these up in TurboCAD when I thought about
getting some opinion from this group. I haven't drawn the full kitchen, just
3 doors, smallest, widest, and something in the middle, with raised panel,
reveals, etc. The largest door looks fantastic. The middle one looks good.
The smallest one looks ridiculous; the raised portion of the panel is only
1" wide!

As you mentioned, Leon, there's no way I'll make the rail/style narrow
enough to make this work. I might have to just use a flat panel in the
smallest doors. Oh, and I didn't say in the orig post, but planning on
making the drawer fronts from a solid piece with a decorative routed edge -
no frame.

Great suggestion on catalogs... I think I need to look for those and/or walk
through some showrooms and see what they've done.