Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Cabinet door stile/rail to panel proportions?

"Keith Carlson" wrote in message
Hello all,

About to undertake my first project making frame and panel doors. I'm
going to "practice" on some doors and drawer fronts for a small bathroom
vanity in the basement before the real project - the kitchen cabinets.

Right now I'm wondering how to size the stiles/rails for the kitchen
cabinet doors. I was thinking something around 2 1/4 width, but you see,
the doors range in size from 8 1/2" wide to 14 7/3" wide. On the 8 1/2,
that stile width would leave just 4" of panel width in the middle.
Visually, it may look like more stile and rail than panel. OTOH, there is
something to be said for consistency on a large set of doors all in view
at the same time....

Opinions, experience here on the wreck? Better to proportion the
stile/rail to each individual door size? Or better to have a constant
stile/rail width across the whole set of doors? Books and the web give
plenty of how-to on making frame and panel, but haven't found anything on
this yet.

Thanks

Even if you used the bare minimum, say 1.5" wide for the r&s's the center
panel would still only be 5.5" wide. So, what would look better, undersized
r&s's on "all" doors or a few narrow doors with narrow center panels.

Draw this out on paper or a CAD program with all the doors and drawer fronts
in the location that they will actually be in and to scale and see what you
think. Additionally I typically use a solid piece of wood for moral sized
drawer fronts. They too are often too short for a panel and that can create
a problem with the drawer pull at times. You may want to consider using
solid pieces of wood on those 8.5" wide doors.