Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default 2 low voltage transformers on 1 circuit?

On Fri, 2 May 2008 23:34:53 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I got a 600W Malibu low voltage transformer powering my landscape
lights. But some of the lights further from the transformer are not as
bright. I only have a single 12 gauge wire with all the lights
attached on it.

Can I attach another 300W transformer at the far end of the wire so
that the lights there will be brighter?

I cannot really run another wire from the 600W transformer, since much
of the wire run under concrete pathways and also my driveway.

Thanks

Cut the existing wire in between two lights, so 1/2 of the lights
remain attached to the 600 watt transformer. Properly seal the cut
ends so they don't touch and are protected from moisture. You could
use 4 sealed direct burial wire nuts, for example. Then connect the
new transformer to the far end to power the other 1/2 of the lights.
Size the new transformer properly to handle the lights it is powering.
It may not be 300 watts, as all the lights may not be the same
wattage. Make sure you use heavy enough wire, and if you have a long
run from the transformer (say 50 feet or more) get a transformer with
taps so you can start with a slightly higher voltage to compensate for
loss in the long wire. The better low voltage transformers have
several taps for this purpose.

You can do this without cutting the wire if you get the phasing
correct, but if you separate into two groups, you eliminate any chance
of confusion now and in the future.

HTH,

Paul F.