Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.basics
[email protected] phil-news-nospam@ipal.net is offline

Default Surge / Ground / Lightning

In alt.tv.tech.hdtv Franc Zabkar wrote:
| On Thu, 1 May 2008 13:30:31 -0700 (PDT), w_tom put
| finger to keyboard and composed:
|
|On May 1, 2:18?pm, ransley wrote:
| Whaaat, you say my Triplights that offer a life time warranty to
| damages from from surges and lightning offer non such ?claim or
| warranty, thats pure barf. Triplight surge protectors are only one
| step a homeowner needs to hopefully protect you. Ive been hit several
| times, anything you do helps a bit.
|
| Actually some things installed will decrease protection - ie the TV
|destroyed because the plug-in protector earthed an 8000 volt surge
|through it.
|
| Can you elaborate on this by showing us the path taken by the strike
| through the TV?

A surge will take _every_ path. Where that ends up with a voltage difference
somewhere, anywhere, that exceeds the device breakdown voltage, then you will
have current flow across there. And if that breakdown means damage, as it
would for things like a CMOS circuit component, the device would be damaged.

--
|WARNING: Due to extreme spam, I no longer see any articles originating from |
| Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by more readers |