Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Flakey 8GB Flash Drive

"Wiebe Cazemier" wrote in message
.home.nl...
On Friday 02 May 2008 14:20, Roger Blake wrote:
This kind of fraud is pretty typical of cheap Chinese products. If
the deal is too good to be true it usually is not true! I was reminded
of this recently when buying a nice-looking no-name universal remote
control for $2.00 at a local dollar emporium. After struggling to get
the thing working I opened it up and found a flimsy blank circuit board
with just a few components designed to make an LED blink when you touch
a button -- the whole thing was a fake, and was probably meant to sell
at a higher price.

My sister bought a universal remote control for just about that price, and
it
worked...

You know, with today's technology, it really wouldn't cost much more to
build a real functional remote than to make a fake one that blinked an LED.
Microcontrollers are under a buck and most are far more powerful than needed
for that application.