Samuel Brooks

Default Thickness planer purchase dilemma- Ryobi or Dewalt?

I went with the Ryobi even though the Dewalt is closing out at 249 and
even lower at some places. I am an occasional woodworker and I like
the idea of indexed blades on the Ryobi. The one time that I had to
change then, it it only took about 10 minutes. From what I understand
the Dewalt does not have indexed blades so changing them can take some
time.

Also the dust collection on the Ryobi worked well. I have the Ridgid
6.25 HP 2in1 shop vac and it is able to keep up with the planer as
well as my Jet table saw and Jet 6" jointer. Of course it's only one
at a time so I have to keep moving it around. Grizzley sells a
converter to go from a 4" dust port to the 2-1/4" that is tapered,
which I needed for the Jet tools, but the Ryobi planer has connections
for 2 & 4" dust systems. The only downside is you will be dumping the
shop vac every 60-80 bf. I was taking off about 1/16 at a pass.

I would also recommend you get two of the workforce rollers to help
feed the from the infeed and outfeed sides. $19.95 each. I would
also recommend the workforce stand, I think it was about $25.00. I put
a bag of cement on the bottom shelf and the planer on the top and had
zero vibration issues.

Also if you have not been reading the post, Dewalt is comming out with
there new model later this year.

You won't go wrong with either tool, so get what you feel is the right
one. There have been lots of post on this goup and reviews that are
good to both machines.

Good luck and have fun.