Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] paljack@magiccablepc.com is offline

Default dust problem

I'm concerned about the dust hazard in my shop and am trying to make
my shop more dust-proof and have done the following:
- Built a cyclone dc.
- Built a ambient dust collector to filter the dust floating in the
air.
- Just bought a Trend Airshield Pro to protect my face/lungs.

Now, I am wanting to exhaust as much dust to the outside of my shop as
possible. I searched the Internet for information on exhaust fans
similar to the ones used by sawmills, but they are expensive and
large. I'm also thinking about venting the dust/chips from my cyclone
dc outside. My shop is 24x32x8 high and in the country, so dust
discharged outside shouldn't be a problem. I may make a collection box
outside to collect the dust/chips if I go that route.

My questions:
1. Can I build a exhaust fan unit to discharge dusty air from my shop
to the outside? If so, how large a fan and does it have to be a slow-
speed fan? Or will a gable vent fan work?
2. Is it O.K. To do away with the collection bin located below the
cyclone? And do away with the filters? And just have everything go
outside?

Rob