Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default The quest for a perfect miter joint

On May 2, 2:29 pm, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:
I am making a set of three stacking tables. Each table will have a 2 1/2"
wide piece of mahogany to trim the center rectangle of curly maple (still
deciding on the center). I got my technique down to get nearly perfect miter
cuts on my SCMS but the saw makes a slighly rough end cut that I would like
to be able to smooth off to get the best possible fit.

I tried to clean up the cuts with the sanding disk part of my combination
sanding disk/belt sander. It is a Ryobi I got for $99 at Home Depot a couple
of years ago on sale. Well, now I know why it was only $99. I could never
get the thing to sand the cut perfectly smooth. No matter how I fiddled
around with the (very cheap) miter gauge on the sanding disk, it always
sanded one end of the cut more than the other so I got a slightly rounded
surface. I guess $99 was TOO much to pay or more realistically, I shouldn't
have gotten it just because it was cheap.

The cuts aren't bad but I can't think of any way to sand the rough ends of
the cut to get an even better fit. Have any of you solved this problem?

80T crosscut blade. Even my 50T Freud Diablo will give
me glue-ready joints straight off the table saw.