Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wiebe Cazemier[_2_] Wiebe Cazemier[_2_] is offline

Default Burning out an intermittant heater-cathode short in a CRT

On Friday 02 May 2008 23:50, James Sweet wrote:

I would look for another monitor and get that calibrated if need be. CRT
monitors are cheap these days, plenty of really nice ones are getting
replaced by LCDs.

My experience with second-hand monitors is not too good. Also, the Eizo's on
the second hand market are all older models. On large Dutch advertising sites,
I can't find a single T766. Most of em are older shadowmask models, and it's
the trinitron I like.

Eizo states that they keep spare parts for, I believe, 5 years, but I don't
know if that includes the CRT. Some might call me nuts for investing money in
a CRT monitor, but the fact that to this day, I have yet to see a better
monitor, justifies me in it . The only problem is, how can I get that lazy
repair guy calibrate the monitor properly for me, especially when his shift
ends in 5 minutes, and not stuff in some old CRT they have lying around... On
their website they advertise with how well they repair monitors (warm up
period, calibrate of focus and colors, etc), but I've experienced it first
hand, it at one time, I got it returned with the colors calibrated to make
just about everything green... I wonder how they do such a sloppy calibration.