Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wiebe Cazemier[_2_] Wiebe Cazemier[_2_] is offline

Default Burning out an intermittant heater-cathode short in a CRT

On Friday 02 May 2008 18:46, Andy Cuffe wrote:

A CRT with two shorted guns is probably past hope. If you really want
to fix the monitor, start looking for a compatible replacement CRT.
Almost any 19" Trinitron monitor CRT should work.

Also when the guns only short intermittently? And, when it's warmed up, the
problem is gone.

The problem with replacing the CRT, is that I'm almost completely sure that the
image quality will be lower. When I bought this monitor, it required three
trips to the service desk to have it calibrated properly. Out of the box, it
sucked. I've also seen other T766 models, which all sucked. If I am going to
replace the CRT, I'm going to let an Eizo qualified repair company do it,
because they can do a better job of it. Problem is, Sony doesn't manufacture
the tubes anymore, so it's possible it can't be repaired. And even if it can,
as I said, quality will probably be lower than what I'm used to.