Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default The quest for a perfect miter joint

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
. ..
I am making a set of three stacking tables. Each table will have a 2 1/2"
wide piece of mahogany to trim the center rectangle of curly maple (still
deciding on the center). I got my technique down to get nearly perfect

miter
cuts on my SCMS but the saw makes a slighly rough end cut that I would

like
to be able to smooth off to get the best possible fit.

This situation screams for the use of a bench plane and shooting board.
There is a clip in the subscription section of the FWW site and there are
tons of other references on the web and in books and magazines...

The upside of using a shooting board over something like a Lion Trimmer is
the bench place can be used for myriad other tasks.

John

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=30677