Posted to rec.woodworking
BillB BillB is offline

Default The quest for a perfect miter joint

Dick Snyder wrote:
I am making a set of three stacking tables. Each table will have a 2 1/2"
wide piece of mahogany to trim the center rectangle of curly maple (still
deciding on the center). I got my technique down to get nearly perfect miter
cuts on my SCMS but the saw makes a slighly rough end cut that I would like
to be able to smooth off to get the best possible fit.

I tried to clean up the cuts with the sanding disk part of my combination
sanding disk/belt sander. It is a Ryobi I got for $99 at Home Depot a couple
of years ago on sale. Well, now I know why it was only $99. I could never
get the thing to sand the cut perfectly smooth. No matter how I fiddled
around with the (very cheap) miter gauge on the sanding disk, it always
sanded one end of the cut more than the other so I got a slightly rounded
surface. I guess $99 was TOO much to pay or more realistically, I shouldn't
have gotten it just because it was cheap.

The cuts aren't bad but I can't think of any way to sand the rough ends of
the cut to get an even better fit. Have any of you solved this problem?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

http://www.lionmitertrimmer.com/

--
Bill B.

http://home.comcast.net/~bberg100

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, 'WOW! What A RIDE!!" ... Unknown