Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default The quest for a perfect miter joint

Dick Snyder wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

"Dick Snyder" wrote

The cuts aren't bad but I can't think of any way to sand the rough
ends of
the cut to get an even better fit. Have any of you solved this
problem?

Got a table saw?

Consider making a "miter sled" like the one on the Jig and Fixtures
page of
my website.

Big plus is the _exact_ "45 degree" angle basically becomes a moot
point (particularly with the usual widths of picture frame miters)
because the order of cut, using an established 90 degree corner to
build the sled, insures complementary angles, and the jig allows you
to use a stop block to
insure the sides are all cut the same length.

These two concepts combined make miter cutting a much easier task,
with little or no tweaking.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

I do have a table saw and I also have a miter sled I made.
Unfortunately the miter sled I made does not have stop blocks. I made
it for cutting one end of a piece of wood and it does a fine job at
that. I may make a better miter sled like yours that has stop blocks
but since my SCMS is doing a perfect cut now, I just want to find a
way to smooth the cut ends of the wood while not losing the perfect
45 degree cut.

Put a sanding plate on your saw.

--

dadiOH