Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default The quest for a perfect miter joint

"Dick Snyder" wrote

While I am at it, if I do copy your sled are there any improvements you
would make if you did it over again?

None that I can think of. It does precisely what it supposed to do - give
you perfect miters - and it's damn hard to improve on perfection.

The most important part of building it (other than getting the miter slot
runners parallel), is to be anally precise about insuring a perfect 90
degree angle on the plywood board that makes up the two opposite "fences". I
was lucky in finding a factory plywood edge that was nuts on, but it really
pays off down the road to be overly picky about this one factor.

Do so, and even if you are a little off in placement of this part on the
sled, you still have the complementary angle principle working in your favor
when you cut adjacent miters on opposite "fences".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08