Posted to rec.woodworking
Dick Snyder Dick Snyder is offline

Default The quest for a perfect miter joint

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Dick Snyder" wrote

The cuts aren't bad but I can't think of any way to sand the rough ends
of
the cut to get an even better fit. Have any of you solved this problem?

Got a table saw?

Consider making a "miter sled" like the one on the Jig and Fixtures page
of
my website.

Big plus is the _exact_ "45 degree" angle basically becomes a moot point
(particularly with the usual widths of picture frame miters) because the
order of cut, using an established 90 degree corner to build the sled,
insures complementary angles, and the jig allows you to use a stop block
insure the sides are all cut the same length.

These two concepts combined make miter cutting a much easier task, with
little or no tweaking.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

I do have a table saw and I also have a miter sled I made. Unfortunately the
miter sled I made does not have stop blocks. I made it for cutting one end
of a piece of wood and it does a fine job at that. I may make a better miter
sled like yours that has stop blocks but since my SCMS is doing a perfect
cut now, I just want to find a way to smooth the cut ends of the wood while
not losing the perfect 45 degree cut. Thanks for the reference to your sled.
I like the way you did it and will probably copy what you did.