Charlie Self

Default Thickness planer purchase dilemma- Ryobi or Dewalt?

George responds:

Hmmm, a toaster company

or a company that likes to use universal motors?

ALL the lightweight planers use universal motors.

I own the older Makita 2012 and think it is a very intelligent
design and get 3" of snipe even when I haven't used it in awhile (you get
better with practice, too).

Long ago, I had a Makita and mostly had trouble with it eating belts, which
were no joy to change. I've had most of the others over time, currently have a
Ryobi and get virtually NO snipe, not 3".

That head lock makes an immense amount of difference.

Charlie Self

"On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation
in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does."
Will Rogers