George

Default Thickness planer purchase dilemma- Ryobi or Dewalt?

Hmmm, a toaster company
(http://www.blackanddeckerappliances....CODIV=0191&T1=
APP%2BT2&FNM=02&UREQA=N) or a company that likes to use universal motors???
How often do you intend to use it and will you be using it to earn $$$???
If your use is serious, I'd get a Makita 2012NB or a Delta. If the vendor
will let you plane a board, get the one with the least snipe as that
translates into feet of wasted lumber.
Personally, I own the older Makita 2012 and think it is a very intelligent
design and get 3" of snipe even when I haven't used it in awhile (you get
better with practice, too).

"Dale" wrote in message
m...
Apologies in advance for yet another question on which tool to buy but
here goes anyway. Home Depot has the Ryobi AP1300 planer for $249 plus
tax and Amazon has the Dewalt 733 for $299 with another discount of
$25 so $274 out the door, no tax, no shipping fees, plus an extra set
of knives and the dust hood. Basically the Dewalt is $8 more plus I
would get an extra set of knives. On the surface I would buy the
Dewalt but Home Depot has an offer that ends tomorrow if you purchase
$299 or more on your HD card you make no payments for a year. So...I
throw in a new jigsaw with the Ryobi planer and I've got two new tools
to use for free for a year. Should I just buck up and spend the $ now
and go for the Dewalt or is the Ryobi a comparable, or superior?
machine that I can pick up tomorrow and pay for next July. I've been
very happy with my purchase of a Dewalt table saw, the 744 that I
bought a couple of years ago. Your opinions are encouraged.

Dale