Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mr. Land Mr. Land is offline

Default Flakey 8GB Flash Drive

On May 1, 11:20*pm, "John Keiser"
wrote:
This is slightly off topic but perhaps you will indulge me.
I have a cheap 8GB "no name" flash drive. *It formats and seems to behave
properly. *I copied 1.5 GB of photos onto the drive. *Some of the .jpg are
readable, but some are not although they are readable on the harddrive.
I tried reformatting, etc, but same issue occurs.
I can't really trust the flash drive.
Any suggestions on how to remedy and verify?
Thank you.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Just wondering - are you perhaps using it with a USB hub? I've had
problems in the past with larger capacity sticks in hubs.
Particularly hubs that include a jack for external power and that I
tried to power from my PC's jack instead. The addition of external
power seemed to cure my problems.

On the other hand, I recently bought a PNY 8GB flash drive that I
couldn't get to behave correctly, no matter what. I e-mailed them and
they just sent me another one (that worked, for free.)