Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Lincoln Log (toy for kids)

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:
On May 1, 5:54 pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:

Not a bad idea, just remember that if you're using a water-based dye
you're going to have to sand afterward.

You'd have to sand fine furniture after using a water-based
dye or stain. Log houses were made from rough cut lumber
so it really depends on how fuzzy wood gets.

Using a non-toxic dye or stain is a VERY good idea as I
distinctly remember chewing on mine. Lord knows you
wouldn't want your kid to turn out like me....

I remember the stain on the old set we had apparently was a
water-soluble as it would stain if wet. I recall one time trying to
build replica of the cattle lots, etc. The water tank idea w/ Al foil
didn't work very well...

W/ this as the "wayback machine" prompter, I've been trying to recall
the name of the wooden dowel w/ the round connector blocks, etc.,
building sets of the same vintage? I still remember Dad somehow built a
passable working (platform reel driven from wheels via rubber band
rotated) model combine for us out of it...

There was also the Al hollow square-tube "erector set" w/ the "rivets"
and their matching rubber rings, gears, electric drive motor, etc., ...

They don't make 'em like that any more...