Posted to alt.home.repair
LouB LouB is offline

Default Ice maker stopped

tom wrote:
On May 1, 5:50 pm, tom wrote:
On May 1, 5:48 pm, tom wrote:

On May 1, 2:30 pm, LouB wrote:
tom wrote:
On May 1, 9:52 am, LouB wrote:
gpsman wrote:
On May 1, 12:14 pm, LouB wrote:
GE refrig with ice maker turned on by putting lever down
Put it down and it made ice for a few hours then just stopped.
Regrig has not been moved or touched in any way. Icemaker just appears
to have died. Any experience with this kind of thing.
Box is 5- 10 years old. Came with house that I bought last year.
OK, but how long have you been using the ice maker? And how long has
it been stopped?
IME sometimes the cycle timing varies and I wonder if mine is broke
(or breaking).
-----
- gpsman
I generally run it about every two weeks since I only use a few ice
cubes a day. Been using it since I got the house about 16 months ago.
flipped the lever down yesterday (Wednesday) morning. It made about 10
ice cubes and then got quiet. I have flipped lever up and down a couple
of times. If it does not come back to life and the repair is not both
easy and cheap I can just go back to ice cube trays.
Lou
Depends on what you mean by "cheap". It's an easy replacement, with a
new unit costing no more than $120.00. I got one for $80.00. Look
online for your model, then tell the local appliance parts outlet how
much you'd pay through "ecommerce", and they'll usually match that
price. Tom
"Easy" is relative, based on experience and ability.
Thank You.
Lou
You're welcome. Yep, I realize that just turning a screw can be
overwhelming. Losers. Tom

Sorry. Tom

Please forgive my response to your reply (Uh, all three of 'em). I get
flippant. Just remember to shut off the water before you remove the
old icemaker, eh? Tom

Yup and no offense taken.

Lou