Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Sterling[_2_] Ken Sterling[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Switch Operated Parking Brake

Steve W. wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

My curious mind just wants to know....

I aquired a used 2004 Lincoln LS and it's the first car I've ever
owned where the parking brake wasn't applied "mechanically" through
pulling on a lever pivoted near the floor or pulled out from under the
dash or stepped on with my left foot.

What's the operating system which responds to the finger operated
parking brake switch located on the console and puts on the parking
brake?

Is it as foolproof as the older style mechanically operated "emergency
brakes"?

Since automotive technology and complexity has advanced to a point
where I find myself "fixing my cars with my checkbook" more often than
with my own tools, I haven't bothered to aquire a shop manual for this
beast yet, and may never, so I can't look there.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

It's a real work of art. Basically what you have is a set of springs
that get compressed by a motor controlled by that switch. When you push
the button the motor releases the springs and pulls the parking brake
cables tight (like you would if you stepped on a pedal or pulled the
lever) when you hit the button to release them the motor compresses the
springs and releases the tension on the cable. You have NO control over
the apply pressure though. They are ON/OFF. Kind of like an electric
version of the spring brakes on big rigs.

Thanks, but it does make me wonder why they went to what seems to me
like an overkill design.

Now I can spend my time worrying about that motor, switch or wiring
deciding to crappe out after the parking brake is ON and preventing me
from driving the car.

Jeff

How else they gonna justify charging ya $43,000 for a vehicle that's
worth $18,000????
Ken.