Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Are the gaps in decking boards (PT or composite) *REALLY* necessary?

gpsman wrote:

On Apr 25, 6:57 pm, Phisherman wrote:

Boards bow, twist, and wane as they dry and seasons changes. A nail
width is about right. Fast drainage is a good thing, but you don't
want so wide of a gap that a women's spike shoe can get caught.

I think the environment and everyday maintenance needs consideration.

Most decking seems to me to have not enough gap for detritus to fall
between the boards, and if it is caught between the boards it's a
bitch to clean out and/or off the joists.

We have a lot of overheard and nearby trees. When I replace this
decking with composite nobody should/will be permitted to wear heels
on it (hasn't happened in 10 years anyway), I might so as wide as
1/4".
-----

- gpsman

Don't worry about high heels. My toes get caught when I walk on our
dock. If a small child is
walking barefoot, gaps too wide might break a bone.