Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Restripping oak door slab vs. buying a new slab

Mikepier wrote:
I asked last week on how to strip my 6 panel oak front door. I found a
furniture restoration place about a mile away from me that can strip a
door down in one day. If I dropped it off in the morning, it would be
done in the afternoon. They charge $325.
Just to compare, I called around to a few places to price a new 6
panel oak slab, and they seem to range from $515-$550. Of course I
would have to drill the deadbolt and lock holes, plus mortise out the
hinges.and if necessary trim the door.
So I'm trying to think now is it worth the $325 to just get the
original door stripped.

I'd try to do it myself first. A can of stripper is about $7.00. A can of
paint thinner (to clean off the stripper remains) and other few bucks.

You'll also need a scraper, rags, toothbrush, disposable paint brush,
possibly rubber (not latex) gloves, open air, sandpaper, and a few hours.

The worst that can happen is that you muck it up - but the commercial place
won't care.