Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Restripping oak door slab vs. buying a new slab

Mikepier wrote:

I asked last week on how to strip my 6 panel oak front door. I found a
furniture restoration place about a mile away from me that can strip a
door down in one day. If I dropped it off in the morning, it would be
done in the afternoon. They charge $325.
Just to compare, I called around to a few places to price a new 6
panel oak slab, and they seem to range from $515-$550. Of course I
would have to drill the deadbolt and lock holes, plus mortise out the
hinges.and if necessary trim the door.
So I'm trying to think now is it worth the $325 to just get the
original door stripped.

A gallon of paint remover costs about .... $25? Can of varnish....$8?
Steel wool, $3,
mineral spirits, $7, sandpaper, $3.

Is the wood damaged? Got a photo?