Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.basics
ransley ransley is offline

Default Surge / Ground / Lightning

On Apr 30, 7:42*pm, w_tom wrote:
On Apr 30, 3:10 pm, wrote:

Maybe he taken a hiatus after the right propper whopping he got here
last week. * I thought it was hillarious after he derided the makers
of plug-in surge protectors and then gave us his list of "real
companies", like Intermatic, GE, Leviton, etc., that were experts at
it. * *Only problem was, all of the companies on his list sell plug-in
ones too.

* Trader ignored a reply that corrected his misconceptions. *I, too,
would sell plug-in protectors to 'experts' who never learned how
electricity works. *If one wants to stay ignorant, then I, too, *would
be happy to reap profits from their ignorance. *But, effective
protectors are sold only by companies with high reputations. *Trader
never understood that part.

* Some are foolish as to believe APC, Tripplite, Belkin, and Monster
Cable are responsible manufacturers. *Effective 'whole house'
protectors are sold by GE, Leviton, Square D, Siemens, Cutler-Hammer,
Keison, and Intermatic - to name but a few. *APC, Tripplite, Belkin,
and Monster Cable don't sell effective protectors. *Their products do
not even claim to provide protection. *But those who know using
insults would also recommend those APC, et al protectors. *I would
also sell trader the Brooklyn Bridge should he remain that naive.

* Well, this 'sound byte' is already too long for those to know only
by attacking the messenger. *Others who would spend tens of times less
money to have significant protection can easily identify the scam
protector.
* 1) It has no dedicated earthing wire.
* 2) Its manufacturer does not discuss earthing.
* 3) It does not claim protection from each type of surge in
manufacturer spec numbers.
All three points identify every protector from APC, Belkin, Tripplite,
and Monster Cable. *A grocery store protector is the same ineffective
protector circuit selling for a smaller profit. *At a profit?
Equivalent to that profitable $7 protector is a circuit inside that
$150 Monster Cable protector. * Higher price means better protection?
Yes, when one would also buy the Brooklyn Bridge. Protection in a $150
Monster Cable product is equivalent to that $7 grocery store
protector. *Both protectors make the same protection claims in numeric
specs.

* *Responsible lurkers ignore the insults; instead learn facts. *Every
responsible engineering source defines what the effective protector
does: * divert a surge into earth where energy is harmlessly
dissipated. *Numerous above posters claim a surge protector somehow
absorbs energy that even three miles of sky could not stop. *Does that
silly little one inch part stop what three miles of sky could not?
Many posters believe that myth.

* An earthed 'whole house' protector means surge energy gets
dissipated harmlessly in earth AND protector remains functional after
a direct lightning strike. *Effective protection means nobody knows a
surge even existed. *Did you grasp that technical reality - or know
only because others have posted insults? *A protector is only as
effective as its earth ground. *Three point are provided to quickly
indentify the ineffective (highly profitable) protectors.

Whaaat, you say my Triplights that offer a life time warranty to
damages from from surges and lightning offer non such claim or
warranty, thats pure barf. Triplight surge protectors are only one
step a homeowner needs to hopefully protect you. Ive been hit several
times, anything you do helps a bit. Sure to do it right can cost
10000.00 for protection. But if a storm is commin, even with my mains
lightning arrestor and surge protection, and individual Trip units, I
still unplug.