Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Restripping oak door slab vs. buying a new slab

On May 1, 10:58*am, Mikepier wrote:
I asked last week on how to strip my 6 panel oak front door. I found a
furniture restoration place about a mile away from me that can strip a
door down in one day. If I dropped it off in the morning, it would be
done in the afternoon. They charge $325.
Just to compare, I called around to a few places to price a new 6
panel oak slab, and they seem to range from $515-$550. Of course I
would have to drill the deadbolt and lock holes, plus mortise out the
hinges.and if necessary trim the door.
So I'm trying to think now is it worth the $325 to just get the
original door stripped.

With no picture its hard to say, Ive worked on many $1000+ oak doors,
houses and churches, in 90 one walnut pair of doors I redid for $1500,
the lady was offered 14,000.00 before I refinished the pair, they were
from the Pullman estate, the train guy. Go price one. If it sanded to
new wood its cheap at his price, restoring an old oak door and frame
today would be near 1-3000, and thats what a new one would cost of
real quality. After its stripped you still have to get to good wood by
sanding, unless its veneer. A new door will have to be hung and locks
installed. If its real quality refinish yours, but you need pro advise
like the furniture guy.