Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ok to use breaker as switch for pool pump?

"KLE" wrote in message
The regular switch for the pool pump is, well, out by the pool. Out
the back of the house, across a lawn, through a locked gate, etc. The
circuit panel is conveniently located in my central utility/laundry
room, and the pool is on its own circuit. Would it be appropriate or
safe to use the circuit as the switch on a daily basis, on then later
off once per day through the summer? I know some people put a timer on
the pool pump - is there something I can buy at the big box and hook
up simply, or is it something I need an electrician for?

Thanks,

Karen

Rather than go to a big box store, go to a real electrical supply house
where they will most likely have what you want. Probably cheaper too.

There are certain types of breakers that are rated for switching. They are
SWD rated and the breaker itself will be marked as such. SWD breakers are
designed for daily use such as you propose, not for a hundred times a day as
part of a process.

It is possible the breaker you have is rated so you can check it out buy
pulling it our of the panel. Removing a breaker is not difficult and is
safe as long as you turn off the main and use care. Most times you just
remove one screw and pry the breaker out. If it was my house, I'd probably
use the existing breaker anyway and replace it with an SWD if it started to
fail.