Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Tom Horne[_3_] Tom Horne[_3_] is offline

Default What the gubamint didn't tell you about digital converters

FDR wrote:
krw wrote:
In article ,
says...
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Alric Knebel wrote:

You could have kept control over them like, oh say, the
current model of that very same part of spectrum. You could have
allocated them for free to public safety or some other worthy
group. Any number of other possibilities if they had wanted to go
that way. If you look at the history, the auction was largely
a justification for taking the spectrum away from TV and not
staying with a dual system for a few more years.
What do you mean, a dual system? I'm not up on the term you're
using, and since it's so specific, it must be critical to
understanding your point.

In the current system (during the transition) we have the old
system and the new both being used. At the timeCongress was
considering the changeover, we could have just as easily kept both
going if there was a desire on the part of Congress.
TV stations have no desire to transmit two of everything. It's a
waste of power and money.

How about letting them decide that? The point is still valid.

Let's see. I can really see a company wanting to spend double. Why
hire one truck when you can spend on two. Yup, makes sense. You
should be a CEO.

And what is the current model for controlling that part of the
spectrum? I thought that part of the spectrum was sold off?
The original part I was replying to was the alternatives
available when the Congress was making the law on how to handle that
spectrum way back in the day. Thus, they could have, if they wanted
to at that time, mandated that the spectrum remain in the control of
the government
The spectrum is leased. The spectrum is quite large, so I'm not sure
what else the gov't would do with it.

Read the answer.

Public safety? Well that's a 24 hour a day spectrum hog. Yeah, let's
do that. What's the programming going to be to fill that across 100+
stations? Wait, won't that cost the taxpayer?

Yes it will cost the taxpayers if the spectrum is retained for public
safety use. Radio Equipment that is suitable for public safety use is
not inexpensive. So I suppose to save you from having to pay taxes the
firefighters should have to crawl down long snotty hallways dragging a
Dixie cup and a string. As to programming to fill it "Engine 791 on the
scene with a two story and basement type five well involved give me the
second alarm and have the next due reverse lay from me with dual lines"
does not take a lot of effort to program. Whatever your smoking please
don't be sharing it.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes but we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and women most remarkable like you.

With apologies to the Kipling trust for the paraphrasing.