Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default ok to use breaker as switch for pool pump?

"KLE" wrote in message
The regular switch for the pool pump is, well, out by the pool. Out
the back of the house, across a lawn, through a locked gate, etc. The
circuit panel is conveniently located in my central utility/laundry
room, and the pool is on its own circuit. Would it be appropriate or
safe to use the circuit as the switch on a daily basis, on then later
off once per day through the summer? I know some people put a timer on
the pool pump - is there something I can buy at the big box and hook
up simply, or is it something I need an electrician for?

Thanks,

Karen

There's no reason not to use the breaker to turn on and off the pump.
Typical time clock needs to be installed by an electrician, or at least
someone familiar with wiring methods and materials. The pool motor should be
GFCI protected as well