Posted to alt.home.repair

Default portable electric generator questions

On Apr 30, 12:28�pm, wrote:
I am think about buying a portable electric generator for emergency
use during power outages. �(Power outages are few and short in my
area)
I am thinking a 3000 watt rated (3500 max) unit that ought to be able
to power my fridge, a few lights, 3 computers, and a microwave (only
for a few minutes to heat up food). �At night while the computers and
the lights are off, and if needed, I would turn on a fan and the sump
pump.

I want one with circuit breaker, and with at least 20 amp receptacles
(25 amp is preferred).

The unit will in the back yard of my house underneath my deck.

Question 1: is it better to get one with electronic ignition
plus recoil pull start?

Question 2: is using 14 gauge extension cords good enough?
cord 1 (25 feet) from generator to fist floor kitchen to power
the fridge, a light, and the micrwave (again for only a few minutes)
cord 2 (100 feet) from generator to the second floor to power
3 computers, a TV and DVD player, a light or two...

Thanks for any info,
Ted

first you need to have enough fuel to run the generator in a
emergency,

gas stations use electric to pump gas, unless they have power you are
out of business.

smaller generators equal lower fuel used. a large generator gulps lots
of fuel even running without a load.

generators are noisey,,,,,,,, espically cheaper ones.

you can elminate complaints by buying a little larger and running
extension cords to close by neighbors, to say power a light, and
fridge occasionally. neighbors wouldnt complain if they are benefiting
too

by rotating what your powering you can supply a few fridges etc in
your area.

another option is a inverter, gets power right from cars battery which
can be left idiling... 100 bucks gets you about a 1000 watts.........

nice for night time.

me and wife got home from trip right after major storm.

we wanted to watch tv, so i connected light and tv to inverter, and
had things up and running in 10 minutes.

we watched big brother on schedule.......

you need to decide exactly what you want. 4 computers are a lot, might
be better to have one in a emergency.....

if you live where summers are real hot a small window AC unit is a
good investment, everyone can pile in one room if the outage is long.

in areas that freeze, powering a furnace is a good idea