Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
AllEmailDeletedImmediately AllEmailDeletedImmediately is offline

Default What the gubamint didn't tell you about digital converters

"David" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:54:46 -0500, Alric Knebel

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:22:05 -0500, Alric Knebel
wrote:

I can't
see this affection for VHS.

And it should be noted that those tapes will eventually lose their
image. Tapes will glitch up, even if you don't watch them.

In my case, it is movies that are on VHS and never made it to DVD.
BTW the "losing image" problem is very much over hyped. When I finally
trashed my last Beta machine I transferred some tapes I made in 1976

Do you have a lot of those movies on VHS? I stopped buying them when I
realized you just can't prevent stuff from happening to them. I
remember exactly what movie it was that made me see it was a hopeless
collector's investment. It was THE GODFATHER. After a couple of years
after initially watching the tape I bought, I watched it again, and sure
enough, there was this glitch in it. I owned at that time about twenty
movies on VHS. I decided then that the movies wouldn't really last that
long, and their was the fullscreen formatting, and image quality just
isn't that good, and I could see on the distant horizon this DVD thing
coming. So I just stopped investing in the tapes. And to this day,
DVDs are still a bang, with all the extra features and the commentary
and so on. It's a movie buff's dream come true.

Anyway, you must have some pretty obscure stuff to commit to holding on
to them like that. Would you mind if I ask what those titles are? I'm
just curious.

I'm guessing most of these movies can be found online (illegally,
though as I understand it it's legal if you own a "hard copy"? Or is
that a myth?

i've wondered that, as well. it used to be you could make a copy for your
own use in order to preserve the original. i'm not sure you can legally do
that anymore. the fbi warning would seem to indicate no.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice
cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

"Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide
everything." -- Josef V. Stalin

www.myspace.com/bodybuildinggranny