Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.bitterness
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default What the gubamint didn't tell you about digital converters

Cindy Hamilton wrote
Alric Knebel wrote

I know this thread is about converters, but I have to say, I can't
believe anybody is still using VCRs. I know some old recorded
programs are fun to archive, with the commercial breaks and all
intact, and the watching a broadcast show from ten years ago
is like time traveling. What I did was transfer a couple of these
things over to DVD. I can't see this affection for VHS.

And it should be noted that those tapes will eventually lose
their image. Tapes will glitch up, even if you don't watch them.

I use my VCR to tape stuff to watch later.

Wota dinosaur.

It's cheap, I already have the stuff, and the technology is adequate to my purpose.

You can say the same thing about snail mail instead of the net.

Once I've watched the show, I reuse the tape for something else.

You can do the same thing with the modern digital alternative, much easier.

Amusing though Dirty Jobs is, I can't see archiving them for posterity.

That said, when my VCR dies I'll probably get a digital recorder of
some sort, just so I don't get "the look" from the kid at Best Buy.

He'll be kicking away your walking frame soon.