Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default O/T What are the real truths? What is happening right under ournose?

On Apr 24, 5:51 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message

news
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:18:55 -0500, Leon wrote:

I remember the gas wars also, those were good wars. The cheapest I ever
paid was 19.9 and I was making minimum at 1.65 in 1972.

In the mid '50s I was making the munificent sum of $48 a week - $54 if I
worked night shift. I don't think the gas prices were much different from
the '70s then, but the octane sure was better than today :-).

You got that right. My 72 Chevrolet Vega, what a POS, required a minimum
of 92 octaine fuel. Regular was normally 95, IIRC the 92 was only available
in unleaded. Premium was way up there.

In the '50s, unleaded was only available in Amoco stations. It was
Amoco's primary selling point.

My '57 Chev 283, dual 4s, Duntov cam, 10.5 CR, had to have Esso Extra
even then (my first new car), would probably blow up on today's fuel.
Diesel itself to death. I always felt it ran better on the Golden
Esso, advertised at 105 octane, but probably not.