Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 220V Air Conditioner - Proper Wire Gauge

"Will Godfrey" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a dedicated outlet for a 220V window air conditioner that is
connected to the main panel with 12-gauge wire and a 20-amp fuse. The
label on the air conditioner says "Cooling Amps 15.0/16/5," which would
lead me to believe that the wire is sufficient for the load. But, the
label also says "use time delay fuse or circuit breaker 30 amp." If a
30-amp fuse is required, does this mean that I need to replace the wire
with 10-gauge?

Here's the entire label from the unit:
Frigidare Gallery air conditoner
Cooling Amps 15.0/16.5

If you use a 30A breaker, no. 10 wire is required. At 15 A you are on the
upper limit of #12. It may be OK, but it may also trip the breaker on
startup. If you get voltage drops it will be even worse. I'd be inclined
to change it and be on the safe side.