Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Mueller Nick Mueller is offline

Default Ping: Nick Mueller re. technical German

Christopher Tidy wrote:

I was assuming that it could have a pretty broad meaning, but I wasn't
sure if it could be even broader than "beam", such as perhaps a
"specimen". But I couldn't make that fit using a dictionary. Thanks for
clarifying it for me.

No no. Not specimen. The problem with the word "Träger" is, that it denotes
an I-beam ("Doppel-T Träger") or some carrier ("Flugzeugträger"). So it can
be something from simple to a complex structure, as long as it has to carry
some load.

[For confusion:
Under the microscope, the specimen is put onto a "Träger"]

I'm assuming that it either refers to a groove made as a weld
preparation (as opposed to no preparation),

Yes.

Could it refer to a three-point
testing machine, in which a simply-supported beam is loaded in the
middle? Or doesn't that make any sense?

No. Because "Nut" is something smallish. Certainly not big enough to bend an
I-beam into. :-)

It's a text by Otto Graf, published in 1943, about the strength and
testing of welded structures.

Ah! That explains why I couldn't google the word. A lost procedure. And I
have no old books about welding.

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO: