Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default OT - As the noose tightens on the progun crowd...

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:14:48 -0700, "Hawke"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 22:16:18 -0700, "Hawke"
wrote:

Instead of young, competent, fearless men, who know how to
use a gun and are willing to use one what you get are a bunch of old men

and
women who can't even clear a jam by themselves.

Good grief, Hawke!

At the range I go to, I see definite correllation between gray hair
and good shooting. Jam-clearing doesn't seem to be an issue.

High-volume rapid fire comes less rather often from grayhairs than
from young bucks. Pensioners and cost of ammo, you know. The
difference is that when grayhairs do shoot that way, a gaping
shredded hole is often created where COM used to be on the target.

I guess there are gray hairs and then there are gray hairs. Because at the
club where I shoot they have a concealed carry class every other Friday and
what I have seen would make your hair stand on end, gray or not. It seems
like most of the people applying for permits are not just gray of hair but
actually elderly. I guess they are scared in their old age that some young
whippersnapper will try to rip them off because they really want to get
firearms permits. Not only can they not clear a jam but they can't shoot
worth crap either.

Scared or simply prudent and paying attention? It's easy for fools to
be fearless. Elders are viewed as easy prey, good for those who don't
care to fit the stereotype.

You could help by offering your expertise to help them learn to shoot
better, and discover what will work for them. Scorn and contempt is
appropos for predators. Screw 'em, they've lived too long already?

The elders I've seen where I shoot won't be entering any track meets,
but they sure do their best. One old couple was there for at least
two hours while I was breaking in a rifle. Gramps was infinitely
patient while Nana gradually got the hang of things. I don't know
what she was shooting but it sounded like a 9mmp, .380 or possibly .38
spl. If the latter, she wouldn't have to clear jams. By the time I
packed up to leave, her shooting wasn't bad at all. Wouldn't win any
matches but her silhouette target was getting punched in the right
places.

Elder women, and eventually elder men, may well have some difficulty
racking a slide. A revolver may then be a better choice for them.

Guess who introduced a very nice gramma to a rather nice .357
revolver today? G She loves it, and she shoots it quite
respectably. We used "powderpuff" loads because she doesn't care for
the thunder, lightning and smoke of a full .357 load though she can
definitely shoot 'em if the situation requires. A couple of cylinders
of full mags is plenty for me per session too. They shoot at least
as accurately as the poppers but the poppers are more pleasant.

We burned a bunch of poppers today, gettin' accquainted with the new
revolver. She can rack the slide on a SIG 9mm but she much prefers
the revolver.

Powderpuff load: 5.5 gn of W231 behind a 125 gn Cu-plated RN (Berry
or XTreme) in a .357 case, COL 1.540. Credit to Fitch for developing
this recipe. 5.0 gns of powder works, but he discovered that 5.5 gns
affords a surprising improvement in accuracy with a 4" barrel. We
don't like using .38 spl ammo in a .357 because it makes pesky
carbon rings in the cylinder holes.

Is trading recipes a senior activity, or what? G