Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default 220V Air Conditioner - Proper Wire Gauge

In article 2008042921532416807-boots4bears@charternet, Will Godfrey wrote:
Hello,

I have a dedicated outlet for a 220V window air conditioner that is
connected to the main panel with 12-gauge wire and a 20-amp fuse. The
label on the air conditioner says "Cooling Amps 15.0/16/5," which would
lead me to believe that the wire is sufficient for the load. But, the
label also says "use time delay fuse or circuit breaker 30 amp." If a
30-amp fuse is required, does this mean that I need to replace the wire
with 10-gauge?

Yes. However, given the data shown below, it should be just fine with 12-ga
wire and 20-amp fuses.

Here's the entire label from the unit:
Frigidare Gallery air conditoner
Model # FAS295J2A4
Serial # JK22068612
Volts 230/208
Cooling Amps 15.0/16.5
Cooling Watts 3365 3300
Cooling EER DOE 8.5/8.5
BTU 28,500
use time delay fuse or circuit breaker 30 amp

--
Regards,

Join the UseNet Improvement Project: killfile Google Groups.
http://www.improve-usenet.org

Download Nfilter at http://www.milmac.com/np-120.exe