Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Martindale Dave Martindale is offline

Default CFL vs Incandescent

"DGDevin" writes:

We went with CFLs a few years ago and have been somewhat disappointed in how
many we've had to replace far sooner than expected.

I've had a few CFLs die what I though was a premature death. Two of them were from IKEA,
and if you read the fine print on the package they're only rated for 2000 hours, instead of
the 6000 or 8000 hours of some of the more expensive CFLs. They were in daily use, so maybe
they did make it to 2000 hours after all.

On the other hand, some of the others refuse to die even when their light output had dropped
well below what they were when new. I've ended up throwing out some simply because they
were too dim to provide reasonable light, but they were still operating.

Dave