Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Top-Cote

"Jack Stein" wrote

problem. Wax on the other hand I did have problems with. Wax is easily
transfered to the wood you're working with, at least wax I melted down
with lacquer thinner and painted on. That crap didn't stop rust much
either.

Depends a lot on the climate where you live. IME, Johnson Paste Wax doesn't
work all that well here on the Gulf Coast either, particularly in big
temperature/humitidy swings, although I've never had problems contaminating
wood with it.

I have used silicone based wax, specifically Astro Shield car
wax. I had read a million or so times not to use silicone based stuff,
but I never had a problem with it.

Personally, not something I would risk using in the shop. Silicone caused
'fish eye' is nasty stuff to deal with and about the only rememdy is even
more silicone to effectively lessen the surface tension on the entire
piece.... and next to impossible to decontaminate the shop once it's been
introduced, so it has the ability to bite you in the butt for a long time.

Still, I liked the 3M Telomer
dispersed dry lubricant, and I think that Top Cote is a very closely
related product, possibly, (hopefully) the same product.

May be, but it sure sound suspicious ... the thing about TopCote is that it
seems to work for just about everyone, regardless of climate or shop
conditions.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08