Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wiebe Cazemier[_2_] Wiebe Cazemier[_2_] is offline

Default Intermittent fault in Eizo 19" T766 CRT

On Tuesday 29 April 2008 23:37, James Sweet wrote:

I've got an additional question. When I put my continuity meter on the GND
and
R or B pin, I can't produce a short by any amount of tapping. A very brief
intermittant short should be very clear, because it has an audible beep.
Because I can only reproduce the fault when it's cold, having the heater
turned off would seem ideal.

What I want to do, is remove the neck board and do some more testing. Do I
need
to discharge the tube for this? I would guess not, but I thought I'd ask.

On Ground, or on one of the heater pins?

Neither produces a short. But the heater and GND give me 1 ohm resistance,
which I guess rises when it heates up. So in cold state, measuring between
heater and a gun and GND and a gun is about the same.

I can't think of another way for the gun to be fully turned on when it's not
connected to anything, but the multimeter hasn't shown a short, which is
strange. You wouldn't know of any other possible cause, would you?

You might wanna just leave well enough alone and use the monitor the best
you can as it is.

The red gun error is quite severe at the moment. It also keeps shutting down
when it occurs, so it's not very usable. I don't understand BTW why it does
shut down when red is shorted, and not when blue is shorted. It can't be
because the driver output is shorted, because I disconnected the plug for
it...