Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default Garage door help! (Off topic but begging for help!)

You either don't have things installed square or enough tension on the
cables. When the door is fully up, there still should be some residual
tension. That is what keeps it in the upright position. For install, the
door is set in place on it's track, then you start cranking the torsion
spring(s)

Big warning he Torsion springs are nasty to tighten or loosen. You
need to have the correct size of bars (various mfgs use different
sizes), the bars need to be good cold rolled (the hot rolled may bend at
the wrong time), and you need to know what you are doing. Failure to
heed these leads to a spinning bar and no teeth left in your jaw.

It also sounds like you may have mixed up the support brackets on the
track. The track is at a very slight angle to the door frame so that it
does not rub all the way down. The hinges match, each hinge up has a
slightly longer throw than the one below it. The door runs freely until
the last few inches, then moves out to contact the door stops.

And you did figure out that the door is installed in the frame with all
the functional checkout, THEN you add the door stops to seal the opening?

If the door hits a joist anywhere, you don't have enough clearance. If
it is at the back, you can drop the track an inch or two without
problems. If it is right near the door opening, you have a problem.
There are low clearance kits that have two extra tracks or use a
'flipper' mechanism. Both work, both are fairly expensive to buy as an
option.

stryped wrote:
I received a single 7x9 clopay garage door from someone replacing
their door. It has all the hardware and even the installation
instructions. I have been for a week trying to “retrofit” it to my
12x16 shed.

I have the track installed and can manually move it up or down but
have tried and tried and cant get the torsion spring to work in
helping with raising and lowering the door. I have done it countless
times all that ends up happening is the wire on the pulleys on both
ends end up “birdnesting” and going everywhere. Yesterday it actually
helped bull it up before it finally birdnested.

What can I do? Would having one pulley slightly higher than the other
cause this problem? I have had to do the best job I could with the
limited room I have.

Another thing I noticed is when I manually raise the door, the bottom
roller seems to be in a different place on the track on one side
verses the other. I measured the tracks on both sides though and they
seem to be the same height.

One last thing when I put it all the way up the end of the door just
barely touched a support on my shed roof. Just enough where the door
wants to come down rather than stay in the upright position. Is there
something I can add or do to keep the door up?

Anyway I appreciate any help as this is driving me nuts and my wife is
tired of me spending all my time on this!