Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default slate roof - felt or not?

George (dicegeorge) wrote:
There are rotten roof rafters with woodworm because of decades of leaks,
so i think the whole lot of slates should come off
and the wood be patched, replaced, and sprayed.

It's quite a steep roof, half of a large victorian house.
We're half way up a hill, wth trees behind the house,
so i dont think that sarking/boarding will be necessary.

The advantage of having no felting seems to me to be that
when there is a small leak I can find it from underneath,
damp patches in the attic and ceilings,
whereas with felt the damp problem would be hidden, and may be rotting wood
away secretly.

But most of you recommend a modern felting material.
There are a few roof spaces that could in future be converted to living
spaces,
that's a future project,
this summer I just want to get the roof derotted and watertight.
And maybe get the hot water working.

Do the job properly then. Strip it. New timbers or treat the old, and
FELT it with at least a breathable membrane. Proper eves vents with
insect mesh, and maybe a ridge vent or two.

At this level it s probably a Building Notification matter, and I
suspect they wont let you do any less actually.

I would even consider boarding it frankly - exterior grade ply ..adds a
lot of strength and windproofing.

If you have the budget, and its sensible given the construction, I would
also insulate between the rafters and board it out inside.

Make a nice room out of a crabby old loft.