Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Mueller Nick Mueller is offline

Default Ping: Nick Mueller re. technical German

Christopher Tidy wrote:

In the sentences above, is "beams" the best translation of "Trägern", or
is a more general term such as "members" or "specimens" more appropriate?

"Träger" is and can be something very general. Normaly it has the meaning of
beam (I-beam) or girder. In this context, it looks more like beam.

Also, what does "Nutschweißbiegeversuch" mean to you?

Oh my good! :-) I have never heard of that. Google has three hits. Your
posting (LOL!) and two to the "Hütte" (that I do not have, I never liked
that book). Didn't find that in other books, too specific.

The best translation I can figure out is "groove weld bending test",

Perfect. I would translate it the same way. "Nut" normally means more an
U-shaped groove but that doesn't make sense here. So I assume that "Nut" is
just any groove for welding (contrary to fillet welding). And bending
("...biege...") is not a dynamic test, contrary to
the "Schlag". "Kerbschlagbiegeversuch" being one of: notched bar impact
bending test; Charpy impact test; Izod test.

But instead I'm assuming that it refers to a slow speed bending test
where the bending moment required, or the degree of bending sustained
before failure, is the quantity measured rather than energy.

Absolutely. I assume it is the bending angle at failure that gives the
number. Or the requirement is a minimum bending angle.

"Experiments with welded beams to assess the suitability of the
materials employed and the method of fabricating the beams. Testing the
materials with the groove weld bending test and notched bar impact test."

Nothing to correct. If you translated that without knowing German, you get a
A+++ :-)

Wild guess:
The text is pre-60. And is about the problem of liquation ("Seigerung") of
sulfur in I-beams.

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO: